A much as I love crafting, my happiness wouldn't total without cooking. I love food, I love to read cooking book and I love to prepare for my loved ones.
Some time ago, a friend asked me about my life in Singapore; I will probably come up with a post about it, but I though I should start with what we are cooking at home first. It is very different from what I used to prepare back home in England. Here you have so many different sort of fruits, unknown veg and spices.
So let's start with Victor preferred dish: Steamed Fish in Banana Leaves (from Best of thai cooking - ISBN-13:978-962-8734-82-5).
- 2 large banana leaves (not easy to find even in Singapore, I use foil instead)
- 350 g firm white fish fillets
- Red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- cut leaves (or foil) in 10 cm square, make a 3cm cut towards the center on each corner. Fold in the corners and staple to form a little basket.
- Cut the fish in small strips, combine with curry paste and coconut cream. Fill the little baskets with the mixture. Top them up with a bit of shredded cabbage and fish sauce.
- Line a steaming basket with either banana leaves or foil, place the cups in it, and steam over simmering water (you can use a wok, a steamer or a normal pan with a ball upside down at the bottom). It take around 7 min to cook.
- Squeeze some lime juice and chilli sauce (or sweet chilli sauce) and serve.