Tuesday, 1 May 2012

News from the sewing machine

Recently, this blog has turned more and more onto a log of my knitting.  Still, the machine is working and has been put to good use as well as my hand and needles.

I will probably (or not) come back in more details to some of the projects, but I’m pleased to say that I have finished a few projects recently:

  • The Batik quilt – 2 years in progress, the piecing went very fast, but the quilting part was going nowhere.  I wanted to hand quilt it, but first it is far too hot in Singapore to hand quilt, and second I did not choose the correct wadding/batting and it felt like quilting in cardboard.  So I gave up, unpicked everything and sent the top to my friend to machine-quilt it.  She’s done a great job and so fast too.  One happy ending.
  • Schnibble #2 – last year, I wanted to sew one Schnibble per quarter… Guess what, I did Schnibble #1 on the allocated timeframe, then the second one… It is now finished, and I can even report that I free-machine quilted it myself.  I got the inspiration, the push from this lady.  Her YouTube videos are excellent, her tips very helpful.  My only regret is that my stitches are somehow to big.  I think I should have run the machine faster.  This is another happy ending.
  • My Japanese bag – another year-long project!  It is almost all hand made. It’s pretty, delicate, and holds all the necessary tools for a day out sewing.  In all honesty, it is not quite finished, I want to add some pockets, make a nice tape measurement cover and get a small cutting board to go with it.

    IMG_9749

3 finished projects, I think I deserve a reward in the form of a NEW project, actually… 2 maybe 3…

I got this nice fresh fabric from our trip to Australia last year.  I planned to do a zigzag child quilt with it. I’ve started cutting, piecing and now I’m waiting for more fabric.  Silly me, I did not buy the whole range.

IMG_9744IMG_9742

I’ve also started an applique quilt.  My friends did it in bright colour, mine is going to be in earth tones with Japanese cuts I’ve been collecting for some years.

IMG_9747

1 comment:

  1. ouh lala. J'adore. Mes mains sont un peu frustrées de ne plus avoir le temps de coudre.

    ReplyDelete