Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Yarn snob or connoisseur

I think I’m turning into a yarn snob :-)

When I started knitting, I was very happy, taken with ‘branded’ yarns.  Sublime, Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Bergère de France… I knew what to expect.  I made quite a few successful baby knits with Sublime and Debbie Bliss.

But with time, I started experimenting with new treasures:

0000 Temp2

  • Metalico by Blue Sky Alpacas: 50% baby alpaca, 50% silk, it is soooo soft, soooo light.  Give me winter so I can wear my scarf.
  • Scrumptious (4 ply and Aran) by Fyberspates: I’ll show you soon what I have done with the Aran. The 4ply went into a shawl/scarf with autumn (fall!) colour.
  • Madelinetosh: Effortless was my first project with Madelintosh yarn, a dream to knit, but the fabric loosen up a bit to much after blocking.
  • Soyeuse by La Droguerie: it is probably as soft as the Metalico, I’m in love with the colour somewhere between teal and blue Tiffany. Another nice little shawl.
  • Nordique by St Denis: I knitted Juneberry.  The yarn is a bit dry and therefore the pattern shows very clearly and it blocked well.  I just wish I had made it larger.
  • Luxury DK from Shilasdair: I bought 2 skeins of this warm variegated red and use only one for this test knit: Leaves on the line. The pattern initially called for fingering, but I think that the shawl has a nice hanging in DK, and the nuances are very subtle.
  • Heritage Silk Paints from Cascade Yarns: that’s my latest acquisition.  Another variegated yarn from night blue to peacock blue, 85% Merino, 15% Silk.  I’m planning on making a stole with beads, maybe this Magic Carpet Ride.
  • and then, I have some more Madelintosh and Oxford Kitchen Yarns. So far, with not other purpose than being stroked and enjoyed for their colour.

0000 Temp3

No comments:

Post a Comment