Thursday, 22 May 2014

A few finishes

I don’t think I have shown any finished quilt since the beginning of the year.

So let start with with my Liberty’s cushions.  I’ve used some Liberty’s scraps bought years and years ago and cream linen.  At first I was not entirely convinced whether the difference of weight in the fabrics will work together: the Liberty’s being very thin and tight weave compare to the linen.  The pattern comes from Sew Mama Sew, tutorial from January.

Liberty cushions

Liberty cushions1

The front is hand quilted, with very simple lines across the background areas.  I machine-quilted the back of the cushion.  I  think they make a lovely pair.

The second project I wanted to share is a 2-year old UFO, started it in S’pore.  It was a mystery quilt brought to our group by Béatrice, one of our quilting buddies.  My initial intention was to create a very calm, flowery quilt.  I chose fabric from the same collection, very little contrast in hues and values.  It took me an awful long time to finish it… I was not exactly in love, I wanted a strong. border but couldn’t quite figure out what to do.

Beatrice mistery quilt

Then some time ago, I took a long-arm quilting lesson and decided to use this top as my first trial. I just did a simple, large swirl all over.  It took me less than 2 hours to finish it all.  I’m now pleased with the end result :-)  Nice quilt to take to a pick nick.

And lastly, my Owls quilt.  Again, it’s a 2-year old project.  I precisely remember when I started it: in Koh Samui, just before Alice’s GCSEs.  That was such a great holiday.  I used a collection of Japanese fabrics I’ve gather for some times.  It’s my first appliqué quilt, I don’t think I’ve done a great job at it.  But it turned out to be such a cute quilt.

Owls1

Owls

NB. Can somebody explain why my pictures are not getting better since I’m taking Photography lessons?!…

No comments:

Post a Comment