Friday, 28 August 2015

Playing list – Quilting books

As the kids are still around, I don’t get much opportunities in my sewing room.  A bit of knitting with Alice, a couple of hours stolen here and there, so as a consequence I don’t have much to show.  However, as I was reorganising my room, I pulled of a few books I bought recently.  All happy reads, all inspiring, just need to find many more hours in my day, or stop sleeping (that would be 8 hours gain), or stop driving to school (another 3 hours gain)…

Playlist

In no favourite order, here is my recent pick:

  • The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt 1930s – Kerry Green (from Verykerryberry on Instagram and her blog) is about to start a Farmer’s Wife QAL  using this book and I’ve decided that I would love to play along.  Although I do need another project like I need the plague (weird expression, where does it come from?)… So I’ve got the book, I’ve got some 30’s fabrics.  Wish me luck, hopefully I’ll enjoy and finish it.
  • Handmade Style by Anna Graham (aka Noodlehead) – I’ve made one of Anna Graham’s bag, the Beetle Super tote.  And I was smitten by the pattern, how well written it was, and how painless it was to sew the bag.  So I had to have the book.  I’ve already made a little bag from the book (you can see HERE on my Instafeed).  There are many more projects I want to sew: a travel case, a wallet, a few bags…
  • Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters – you might remember that I’ve been diagnosed with a ‘Quilting-blockage’…  This is a very bad affliction,especially as I have several tops waiting to be finished.  But as Angela Walters (Quilting is my therapy) herself said “A finished top is better than a perfect quilt top”.  I know it all come with practice and I am hopeful I’ll be able to overcome my blockage.  The book is full of nice easy designs and tips to combine them.
  • Sew Organized for Busy Girls by Heidi Staple (her blog - Fabric Mutt) -  the first section of the book is about getting organised, finding time to sew.  Then the second part of the book brings some very cute little projects (you might have seen the Deluxe Pincushion around the web).  To me it feels that the book is more for young mothers with very little time or sewing beginners.  Still it is a very stylish, pretty book.
  • Double Wedding Ring Quilts and 15 Minutes of Play by Victoria Finlay Wolf.  Back in December, Victoria came to our Guild to teach “15 Minutes of Play”.  Being a scrappy-quilt kind of girl's that was the perfect workshop. I had been following Victoria's blog in the past, and it was lovely to meet her in person - she is such a fun, friendly lady.
  • Quilt Lovely - 15 Vibrant Projects by Jen Kingwell – may I blame my friend René for this purchase? or should I assume plain responsibility?  René had brought this book to one of our Crafty Tuesday and then she made this pillow from the book. Being a scrappy-quilt kind of girl (as mentioned above), it was love at first sight… so many projects to tackle… so little time…
    scrapbooking papers4 

Lastly, Alabama Studio Sewing + Design - I should probably do a full post on this one.  I wanted this book for a long time, but always thought that I will never make any of the garments presented.  Not that the garments' construction would be difficult, but could you really imagine appliqué and re-embellish intricate tiny patterns on a large piece of knit, all by hand, before making a T-shirt?  But the book is so stylish, the pictures, the drawings, the colours...  Go and explore Alabama Chanin website, I really love the atmosphere, it's clean, it's organic.  I think I will have to find an opportunity to visit The Factory, and gift myself with some of their organic cotton jersey.

1 comment:

  1. Those are all great books. When I don't have time to sew it makes me feel like I am doing something creative if I am reading books about sewing....ha! I have resisted this latest Farmer's Wife book....I feel like I need to make more progress on my Dear Jane before tackling another big project like this. I am happy to take blame (or credit!) for the Quilt Lovely book. There are so many pretty projects in there. Lately I have seen quite a few Glitter blocks on Instagram from that book.

    ReplyDelete