Saturday, 9 July 2016

Sewing for the model girl

I love when my girls ask me to sew for them!

Alice has a 10-week internship this summer and not enough working-girl outfits for the whole summer (student life rhymes more with jeans that straight skirt).  So I was happy to oblige and sewed a few tops and skirt for her.

First this almost neon top.  It has been under my radar for many moons (actually, it is one of the first thing I pined when I start with Pinterest).  The pattern is #101 from Burda Style Magazine – June 2011.  I don’t remember any difficulty sewing it probably because I did not follow the instructions, they were very short and I prefer illustrations…  I am quite please with the neck line, the secret of a neat curve is to go slow and steady, trying not to stop.  Fit-wise, I think the shoulders would benefit to be a bit wider and the under-arm a bit lower.  Still it is pretty, maybe a bit shear but again she is young and French so she can pull it off.

Pretty Alice

The skirt is a tested and trusted pattern, but you’ll have to trust me on this because it looks like I never blogged about it and I can’t find the particulars.  Anyway, look how well the pattern matches (OK, I could have done a better job with my zip, it shows a bit)

Now this Liberty top, it’s a Scout Tee.  Contrary to mine,  I haven’t made any alteration.  It fits her well.  I’ve use some Liberty’s from my stash, but as I did not have enough yardage to make the bias for the neck-line, I’ve use some quilting cotton. I love working with Liberty fabric.  The tight woven fabric does not distort when manipulated.  It only needs a very minimal seams treatment; which in this case is none.  I’ve been wearing my Liberty Scout Tee almost every week since I sewed and the seams haven’t frayed.

Pretty Alice1

It is very satisfying to make garments for my girls, everything looks great on them, I could almost believe that I am an expert sewist.

Question, do you keep a record of what you sew?  Where? On a log, a blog, or an online database?  If you go on an online database, which one do you use? Pattern Review, Textillia?

1 comment: