Thursday, 23 February 2017

Enjoying simple treasures

A few weeks ago, a few friends and I went to a Sue Spargo’s workshop organised by Red Thread Studio.  And what a treat it was!  Not only the workshop, but the whole trip.  We travelled to Stuart, Florida the night before and got to enjoy a great meal by the water.

I am not very familiar with Sue’s work but I had chances to admire work by one of her student.  Mary always praised Sue’s warmth, eagerness to share and I was not disappointed.

We worked on a very manageable project, a needle case.  The cover and the body are from Sue’s wool.  The kit can be found on her website (and btw, you can order it in this new aqua colour). 

Sue Spargo3

Starting with the dots on the back of the cover, we tried our needles on 8 different stitches, Sue taking time for demonstration at each table (4 of us per table).  I’m pretty sure her needle case was almost finished by the end of the day.

Sue Spargo

The front dots were worked on at home.  Changing the size of the stitches, mixing them up, trying different thread colour… It is very addictive, I just wanted to add more and more.

Sue Spargo2Sue Spargo1

If you want to know more about our day, go and visit Rene’s post.  Check her case:  it looks quite different and so cute, I love the hot pink binding she used and the extra row of flowers on the spine of her book.

Other treasures I wanted to share are my last two reads. I am having a good start of the year.  My first book is the latest John Irving, Avenue of Mysteries .  I’ve been in love with John Irving for more than 20 years (my husband knows, he introduced my to him :-).  I’ve said it in the past, but reading a book from John Irving is like meeting with good friends and family, the territory is familiar but different each time.  Same themes and similar characters and still a different story.  It is quite a slow book, not much is happening, it goes from memories of the past to dreams unless it’s the present. 

Reading wise, I also finished reading The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide.  It is a very poetic little book about a couple and the cat visiting them.  Not much is happening, just the husband and wife observing the cat, their garden.  It’s a little windows into Japanese way of life.  I really enjoyed it, and it made me want to go back to Japan.

That’s it for today, now I’m off to bed because I’m at Quiltcon tomorrow.  Getting pretty excited!

bloglovin' Tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment