Thursday, 23 March 2017

Hello baby!

Do you remember MP Bb’s, or my favourite little persons for whom I loooove to knit? They are expecting a little sister.  OK technically, their mum is expecting… This little one will make me a God-grand-mother or a Grand-god-mother for the third time (happy dance!).  Mum, dad and the kids are living on the other side of the globe, so while we are bracing ourselves for Summer, they are moving toward Fall… and what do you need when you are a tiny baby coming into fall, KNITTED stuff.

This first one is Billy Cardigan by designer Linda Whaley, from the Little Rowan Cherish book, knitted with Rowan Super fine Merino 4 ply.  This yarn is a dream, so soft and have you seen the definition of the stitches.  The cable work is worthwhile with such a yarn.  I’ve done cables before, but these ones were a first for me: they are worked on 6 stitches, over 6 rows, 2 stitches crossing over the next 2 stitches on the first knit row and the over the last 2 stitches on the following knit row (too technical?). 

I heavily modified this little cardigan.  First, I decided to knit in one piece: adding the number of stitches for both fronts, plus the back, removing 4 stitches to take into account that there were no more side seams.  I knitted the sleeves flat.  I had to play a bit with the number of stitches when working on the yoke as I did not like the way the raglan was forming (again not seam), instead I made sure that there was a 2-stitch cable in place of the seam and I love how it looks cleaner.  Honestly, I did a lot of negative knitting trying to figure this out and it took me far longer than necessary to finish.  But the result is worthwhile.

MP's BB

This second one was a super fast finish.  I followed Tikki Knits’ instruction for Gidday Baby (which is a particularly appropriate name considering the family connections with Australia), I’ve used leftovers of Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK.  I’ve made so many projects with this yarn, it’s perfect for baby, it is soft, from natural fibers and the colours are lovely.  Technically, the project worked from the top down with garter and stockinet stitches.  I think what makes this cardi so pretty is the contrasting yarns in the yoke.  See for yourself!

MP's BB1

I can’t wait to see the little model those cardigans.

bloglovin' Tags: ,

1 comment:

  1. These are so lovely...I know how to do a lot of things, but knitting is not one of them. You sure are talented!

    ReplyDelete