Monday, 19 June 2017

The Bali pants

Way back when we were living in Singapore, we went for a week holiday in Bali. I went there with the kids, I can’t remember what kept Philippe away, it might have been a meeting, a missed flight… Still, we had a great time exploring the island on our own.

Off course, we did a bit of shopping and Alice brought back the Bali pants. There were some kind of wrap pants, black with large white fishes. She loved, love them still. But they have been over worn and are falling apart. I honestly think she shouldn’t be wearing them anymore, but she has so many memories attached to them that she can't. Juliette loves them too. So I have been on a mission to sew new pairs.

Here they are: Simplicity 8134. I made two versions.


The first ones are straight out of the envelop, they are not exactly wrap trousers, more like flow-y trousers with flaps knotted in the front. I did not had to alter the size whatsoever, they fit Juliette perfectly. Construction-wise, I used French seams (you know how I like the inside to be looking as good as the outside, plus the fabric frayed a bit).



The second version, Alice’s one, have been substantial modified. The wrap version was the important component for Alice. I extended the sides of both pieces, omitted the waist band, extended and added ties on the front of the trousers, and left the sides unsown. Now they are truly Bali pants, they wrap around the waist, are tided in the back and the front. I need to add a label at the back as it is not easy to distinguish back and front. I think I got a thumb up for these too. And now both girls want short versions, of I go to my sewing table…

1 comment: