Friday, 7 July 2017

Meow, the wedding quilt

A while ago, the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild had invited Lee Monroe, aka Lee Chappell, to come and teach her class on precision piecing. I love precision piecing, I love sharp points, nice aligned seams and the class was perfect.
  

We worked on Lee’s block, All Squared up. There are plenty of points to match and seams to get crisped. The block is rather large and with just a few of them you can get a nice size quilt.


I had picked some orange and grey fabrics, with some cat prints. My idea was to see whether I would love the block enough to make a big quilt, and maybe a quilt that could be a wedding quilt for a couple who loves orange, grey and cats. I did not say anything though, I don’t have a good track record when it comes to finishing quilts on time, especially wedding quilt.


With only 4 blocks and really large borders, this quilt is big (approximately 90x90). I had no intention on wrestling with it on my domestic machine, nor with the backing, batting, spray and pins. So it went to my friend Debra, aka Made of Honor Quilts, for quilting. She has done a superb work, doodling on all this negative space. She has also added some cats for the cats ladies.



So only 2 years after the big day, the quilt has been delivered to my sisters in law. And apparently, I’ve been nominated for Sister-in-Law of the year as this 100% cotton gift arrived on their cotton wedding anniversary!






4 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful! It's so much fun when things turn out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marge! Even better when it happens by chance.

      Delete
  2. Love everything about this quilt. Colors,layout,even the cats (dog person here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really beautiful, and Debra's quilting adds just the right touch of whimsy.

    ReplyDelete