Wednesday, 27 September 2017

Slice and Insert improv quilts

Isn’t is time I blog about a quilty project? I think it is, and I have two finished quilts.

It all started a few months ago when Jacquie Gering came to our Guild for a week-end of workshop. I was lucky to take part in both classes: Crative quilting with the walking foot, and Slice and Insert improv. Those two classes were quite out of my comfort zone: I am not an improv person, and straight line quilting looks tricky to me! However having Jacquie teaching is such a treat, she is fun, shares lots of information, she makes everything easy.

Slice and Insert Improv class was quite fun and fulfilled my need for matching seams and clean lines. Initially, I planned to make one large piece, but the quilt(s) took a different direction.


I really like the architectural feel of these 2 quilts.


Next obvious step when making a Jacquie Gering kind of quilt, was straight lines quilting with my walking foot. Oh my! It look rather simple, but it is not that easy to sew a straight line. I chose to quilt narrow lines, 1/2 inch apart. The first quilt is quilt on the diagonal from edge to edge. That wasn’t fun or fast but at least I did not have to burry any threads. For the second quilt, I decided on a similar approach with horizontal lines, but before I highlined the H shape, probably not the best decision as I had a lot of stops and gos and therefore gazillions thread ends to burry.

4 comments:

  1. I love both of these quilts and the quilting. Your fabric choices are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! The fabric choices are an happy accident, you know the kind which happens when you grab fabrics just minutes before the class ;)

      Delete
  2. They are both fantastic! Great job with the Jacquie Gering style quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Jacquie is such a great teacher.

      Delete