Sunday, 8 October 2017

Sunday finds - SF 3

I did plan to do a Sunday Finds last Sunday, but obviously it did not happen. I was not prepared, I hadn’t not collected all the things I wanted to speak about, and honestly if I want this post to get out on Sunday, it really needs to be written by Friday night. Lesson learnt, I will aim to be better organized.

So here are my finds, some are new, some are old.

Meat free Monday
Do I see some eyes rolling? Where do I start? I am not a vegetarian, nor a vegan, but I am concerned by the state of our planet, by the state of our health… Years ago, I heart the McCartney’s campain, and to me everything they are saying make so much sense. Please go and read the About on the website. Then last week-end, I listened to a French podcast On va déguster: Cuisine végétale et bienfaisante (sorry, my non French speaker friends). I was in shock, a whole one-hour programme on vegetarism and how it is beneficial for the body and the planet on a French radio. I could elaborate on how this is surprising coming from French foodies. But I’d rather encourage you to give it a try. At first, it might feel like you have no idea what to cook (and that when you go to the Meat Free Monday recipes tab), then hopefully it will become a way of life. At first, I was very intentional about it, then I extended the Meat Free meals to my #craftytuesday gatherings (thank you my Friends to going along), and now it is part of our diet. I don’t think in term of what can I cook to replace a chicken casserole for example, but more in term of which flavors do I fancy today. Please, please give it a try and let me know what you think.

News stands
Have you notice all the christmas magazine covers on the news stands. It is too early, far too early and it makes me despise those holidays. Having said that, I pick the first issue of Goop, Gwyneth Paltrow’s magazine. First, let’s talk about the cover photo. Actually, I don’t know what to think about it: Gwyneth almost naked covered in mud with obvious nipple patches… Have I lost you already? It’s a wellness publication. The first issue goes from ’the power of healing and transformation of crystals' (?!) to some interesting lunch box recipes, to articles like ‘Find your inner sex goddess’ or ‘Adore your pelvic floor’ which is actually a hot subject for Gwyny (do a search on her site and see by yourself. Warning - you might want to do the search in a private setting)… netherless to say that the jury is out, just let me read it, and if you want to have a look at it ask for my copy.


Gladdening Light
Now I am not going all ‘guru’ on you with this Sunday Finds, but I want to point your attention to an upcoming event: The Gladdening Light Symposium on January 25-28, 2018 at Rollins College in Winter Park, FL. The keynote address is Krista Tippet, the one from the podcast On Being. This will one more step in my soul searching journey.

Brioche
Now something very light. I want to learn how to brioche. I have seen this book recently: Knitting Fresh Brioche by Nancy Marchant, and I am obsessed by this stitch. I’ve done mono-colour brioche in the past, but it was very basic. This bi-colour technic is intriguine and the final results are gorgeous. I have two patterns in mind: the River Rock Scarf, which could be a perfect Xmas gift, and Carmine and Rocko in varigated yarn that give even more depth to the project. Those will have to wait, I currently have two major projects on my needles.

Have a wonderful week, and if you have a ‘thing’ to share, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting topics this week ;-)) I heard the buzz over the Gwyneth issue but haven't looked for myself. I discovered this over the weekend and now am anxiously awaiting my pattern: https://www.instagram.com/brimfieldawakening/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Brimfield block is really beautiful. I need to finish a few more project before I just onto the EPP bandwagon. I can't wait to see what you're going to make with this block.

      Delete