Last Monday, Juliette’s school was closed like most of the schools in our area. We had snow falls all week-end, and the roads were not safe.
So Juliette stayed at home with me, which means I had to cook for our lunch (I’m normally happy with just a soup or some left over). Comfort food and snow go well together; I made Croques Madame muffin, inspired by Rachel Khoo (My Little Paris Kitchen).
It was so easy. You need:
- some white bread (crust removed)
- melted butter
- grated cheese
- egg yoke
- flour, milk (1cup) and mustard for the béchamel
- muffin tin
- Prepare the béchamel: in a pan heat a tea spoon of butter in which you add a spoon of flour, then add the milk slowly. Keep stirring until the sauce starts to thicken. Add mustard, salt, pepper and grated nutmeg. There’s plenty of recipes on the web, this is my quick, simple version.
- Flatten each bread slice and spread some melted butter on each side.
- Mould the bread slices in the muffin tin.
- File the muffin tin with some ham, béchamel and the egg yoke, finishing with grated cheese.
- Put in a pre-heated oven (200 degrees) for 8-10 minutes or until the bread edges start to turn brown (the eggs should stay soft).